Facebook is not always the solution when planning or executing a Social Media campaign, especially when the industry is Travel and Tourism. TripAdvisor, the New York Times Travel section, Driftr.com, TripSay, ThornTree, and many other Social Media sites would be a more suitable choice.
50 million reviews and opinions on TripAdvisor, the world’s largest Travel site, would definitely back this up. TripAdvisor has doubled its content in two years and features more user-generated content than any other Travel website.
TripAdvisor announced today that it has reached the 50 million reviews and opinions milestone
In January 2005, TripAdvisor reached one million published reviews and opinions, then grew to 10 million in June 2007, 25 million in July 2009 and now features 50 million reviews and opinions — more user-generated content than any other travel site. TripAdvisor currently publishes 25 new contributions every minute thanks to its active traveler community of more than 20 million members worldwide.
“When we first launched TripAdvisor we knew there would be an appetite among travelers for honest reviews written by real people. Eleven years later, we are tremendously proud to have reached 50 million reviews and opinions which help over 40 million travelers a month around the world plan and experience the perfect trip,” said Steve Kaufer, founder and CEO of TripAdvisor.
TripAdvisor Content Fun Facts
- The first review on TripAdvisor was published on December 11, 2001 on the Roost Lodge in Vail, Colorado
- The most reviewed property in the world is the Luxor Las Vegas in Las Vegas, Nevada, currently with more than 6,100 reviews
- The total word count of reviews and opinions on TripAdvisor is equivalent to the word count of 9,420 volumes of the novel “War and Peace”
TripAdvisor VERY Interesting Facts:
- TripAdvisor attracts more than 50 million unique monthly visitors* across 19 popular travel brands*
- TripAdvisor-branded sites have more than 40 million unique monthly visitors*
- The sites have more than 20 million members and over 50 million reviews and opinions
- The sites operate in 30 countries worldwide, including China under daodao.com
- TripAdvisor Media Group generated $486 million in revenue in 2010
“TripAdvisor has tremendous user loyalty and this is largely due to the freshness of content added to the site every day by our passionate community,” said Kaufer. “We would like to thank the millions of reviewers who have contributed to making TripAdvisor the world’s largest and most relevant travel planning tool.”
* Source: comScore MediaMetrix