Gen Y or Millennials: Marketing Tips
by Claudia “Havi” Goffan
Most of us, marketers, are trying to engage the Millennials or Gen Y. Also, most marketers are still leery of Gen Y marketing techniques. Therefore, we need to keep understanding who they are, what they do, what they like and what they dislike.
Gen Y or Millennials: Marketing Tips: brief overview of the Millennials or Gen Y
Gen Y believes in the power of WE and is all-inclusive.
- Gen Y is multicultural and 34% of Millennials are Hispanics.
- Gen Y believes that customized options help define personal style.
- Gen Y is hyper-connected.
- Gen Y is married to mass media and goes online more than any other generation.
- Gen Y uses cellphones as an extension of their own body.
- The average Gen Y’er spends an average of 33 hours on social networks, 31 hours on email, and sends over 700 texts, every month.
- Their status updates or messages to friends reach hundreds, and because of its instant repetition, they reach greater audiences almost instantly.
- Gen Y loves communication tools – especially instant messages.
- Gen Y is interested in social popularity or social status and most of them have not met many of their friends in person – ever.
- Gen Y is the first generation that can actually measure its popularity.
Gen Y or Millennials: Marketing Tips – What can brands do?
Use their willingness to collaborate and include them in your efforts to build your brand. Once they are a part of it, they will help you share your message.
- Talk to the Millennials that work for your company and include them on your advertising and PR efforts – they will help you deliver your message for free using their extensive networks.
- Be mindful of their likes and dislikes when it comes to your brand because they can also share negative messages about it.
- Remember that online video offers them immediacy, emotion, and interaction.
- Listen to them online and engage them online 24/7 using Multicultural Market Intelligence Tools.
- Use these insights to create great products.
- Market to communities, but emphasize individuality.
- Generate Word of Mouth: Let them discover your brand.
- Be real and authentic to your audience in everything you do.
Now, the question becomes, are you truly listening to the Gen Y?
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
[…] a result, marketers in both the Latino and youth markets have had to revamp their marketing strategies about how to reach this key […]
RT @carol_phillips: RT @TargetLatino: Gen Y or Millennials: Marketing Tips [link to post] #hispanic #multicultural Thx 4 RT!! 🙂
Gen Y or Millennials: #Marketing Tips [link to post]
RT @TargetLatino: Gen Y or Millennials: Marketing Tips [link to post] #hispanic #multicultural
RT @incom: RT @TargetLatino: Gen Y or Millennials: Marketing Tips [link to post] #hispanic #multicultural <--gracias por el RT! 🙂
Gen Y or Millennials: Marketing Tips [link to post] #hispanic #multicultural
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!